Why?

My photo
This vigil was started on Friday 9th January, as part of the many protests against the war crimes and atrocities committed against Gaza. We are standing outside the Israeli embassy because it is the symbol of the Israeli military and their political masters. Come and join us by calling 020 8904 4222 or email a mesage of support for the blog to info@ihrc.org. Amongst the many supporters of the vigil are FOSIS (the Federation of Students' Islamic Societies) and IJAN (International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network).

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Day 4

Day 4

Just finished my first shift at the Vigil. Although in the past I have been critical and pessimistic about the benefits of such actions, I know now their importance.

In just four hours, hundreds of passers by were able to read our banners and slogans, “The World Stopped Nazism, The World Stopped Apartheid, The World Must Stop Zionism.” I could see on the faces of many passing by the beginning of a thought process. It is the instigation of these very thoughts, getting people to think about the evils of Zionism, that makes such vigils so important.

In the first half an hour a few van drivers horned and gave me a thumbs up in support. I was particularly touched by one elderly lady who came over to me, gave me a long stare, and said “you are absolutely right.”

I had conversations with Africans, Arabs, Caucasians and others, all united by their humanity.

The cold has subsided.

I look forward to tomorrow's shift. OUSSAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment